The Center for Language Studies and World Languages and Cultures (WLC) is pleased to announce its annual awards of at least $250 each to encourage and support students who are pursuing a language taught by faculty in WLC. The purpose of this annual award is to recognize excellence in student work that demonstrates a deeper engagement with a language and culture with the following languages: Arabic, ASL, Hindi, Nahuatl, Persian, Swahili, Turkish, Yoruba.
Submissions may take the form of a traditional paper, website, performance, video, digital or otherwise. Video and audio submissions should be no longer than 4 minutes. Text entries should be no longer than 600 words.
Applications are due by Friday, May 10, 2024, 9am.
Please use this google form to submit your project. Awards will be announced through ufunds.
Required Application Materials
- Submission of the project
- Statement explaining the project in English (no more than one page)
- One-page reflection answering the following prompts:
- How has this project deepened your understanding of language and culture?
- What benefit did others gain from your project?
- Sophomore or Junior standing
- Enrollment in 3 semesters of language courses in World Languages and Cultures (including this semester)
Up to six prizes of at least $250 will be awarded. All Brown prizes of any amount are considered taxable income. Brown University issues a Form 1099 to students and other non-employee cash prize recipients if consolidated payments to them during a calendar year equal or exceed $600. If the individual is a foreign national, their initial prize payment is subject to taxes depending on their country’s treaty benefits, and 100% of their payment is reportable on a Form 1042S for tax purposes.
Notification of award will be by May 20, 20234.
Award winners will be listed on the WLC website.
Any questions may be directed to the CLS Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.